Skip to main content

‘I’m celebrating my body for the first time’: Dan Daw’s BDSM dance show

The Australian dancer allows himself to be dominated on his own terms in a duet bursting with pride – and he’s never felt more free

‘I grew up being told my body was wrong,” says Dan Daw. “And being told by medical professionals that my body had to be fixed. I was told I wouldn’t be able to be a dancer.” But that wasn’t true at all.

Born disabled – he identifies as “crip”, reclaiming the word, and prefers not to detail his condition – Daw, 38, grew up in an outback town in South Australia and showed a talent for performing from a young age (his grandmother was a dance teacher). During a drama degree in Adelaide, Daw discovered that working with his body was what made him buzz, which led him to dance, to the UK, to Candoco dance company and then to making his own honest and autobiographical performances, the latest of which is The Dan Daw Show.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3zShD9K

Comments

Popular posts from this blog