Skip to main content

‘I have a scene to do, run!’: backstage at Minack Theatre

Our photojournalist explores the famed outdoor venue in Cornwall as it welcomes back full houses

“I knew of it from pictures I’d seen online and I thought it looked pretty, but when you arrive and see it yourself, it’s like, ‘Oh wow, this is insane,’” says actor Guido Garcia Lueches about the Minack Theatre. “It’s probably the best theatre I’ve ever performed in.”

Carved largely by hand into a craggy, granite cliff-face, the dizzying outdoor venue on the south coast of Cornwall looks magnificent in the summer sunshine. Tiers of subtropical foliage splash colour throughout the landscape and weathered concrete seats bearing the titles of past shows rise abruptly from the stage. The ocean, 100ft below, looks an enticing shade of turquoise.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3f3UObA

Comments

Popular posts from this blog