Skip to main content

‘I finally understand the machine that is Netflix’: how Security became an under-the-radar hit

Funny Bones director Peter Chelsom had given up on Hollywood and went to Italy to make a low-budget thriller. To his – and everyone else’s – surprise, it’s a worldwide hit

I have to admit that Netflix terrified me. As a viewer, of course, I was hooked. As a film-maker, I was pretending to be cool about that fact that I had not been asked to join the party. I’d only directed films for cinemas, never anything for a streaming platform. I am aware of the endless debates. Is Netflix a force for good? Are you in favour of the motion or against? Vote yes or no.

The thing is, there is no “yes” in movies. You might find a Y in your wet-weather gear pocket on day three when you’re already a full day behind schedule. Or an E under your pillow when you wake up the morning after the wrap party with a hangover, and the flu that’s been waiting to kick in. And there’s the S that sits prominently over the bad reviews on opening weekend. (Somehow, you only see the bad reviews.) The outcome never meets the expectation, possibly because the expectation is rooted in the blind faith necessary to keep hauling yourself out of bed every morning at 5am. There is no “yes” in movies. Your life is a series of disappointments.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2UQrcaD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog