Skip to main content

Boozy lunches and sober sandwiches: how the Guardian film critic’s job has changed

Peter Bradshaw chats with his predecessor Derek Malcolm about routes into the profession, screenings and social media

From 1999 until the present, I have been the chief film critic of the Guardian; before that it was the legendary Derek Malcolm who held the job from the early 70s, and now at the age of 89, is far from retired, regularly attending festivals including Venice and Goa, and contributing to the Sky Arts TV show Discovering Film.

How has the job of film critic changed between his day and mine? I went down for lunch and a comparison of notes with Derek at his house in Deal, Kent, where he lives with his wife, the historian and journalist Sarah Gristwood.
How did Derek get into the film critic business? “I was on the Gloucestershire Echo and wrote to Brian Redhead, who was the Manchester Guardian’s arts editor, asking if I could write about the Cheltenham literary festival. He said I might send my piece in and it was published, and he told me to come and see him. I knew Redhead was a socialist and if he knew I was at Eton and Oxford I would never get a job. So he asked me where I went to school and I said: ‘Somewhere near Slough.’ I ended up as a designer, and then called down to London where I was the late-night sub and the only one who could read the reviews by Neville Cardus [the renowned music critic and cricket correspondent] who submitted his copy in longhand. I became the letters editor, and – because I had been an amateur jockey in the 1960s — the racing correspondent.

“I was also the deputy drama critic to Philip Hope-Wallace, who took great delight in sending me to review Little Malcolm and His Struggle Against the Eunuchs. I became the film critic because the editor fired the existing critic, Richard Roud, for writing a one-word review of The Sound of Music — he just wrote ‘No’. Just that.”

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3ditHsI

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Degrees of separation: what connects Seinfeld to Steve Bannon?

From the US sitcom to the far-right rabble rouser, we go down the rabbit hole, thanks to the arrival of Jerry’s show on Netflix Seinfeld All 180 episodes of the 90s’ most misanthropic sitcom have arrived on Netflix, but not everyone is happy. Some viewers have complained that the new transfer puts Jerry Seinfeld ’s show in a different aspect ratio: from an older square format to widescreen … yada-yada … now the picture crops out some sight gags and just seems slightly bizarro . Motion impossible: fallout It’s not the first time modern technology has caused problems. HD TVs can make even visually stunning films look like cheap soap operas, through motion smoothing – a process to reduce blurring (good for on-screen sport). But Tom Cruise was there to save the day: in a slightly awkward 2018 video , he explained how to adjust TV settings to undo this flat fiasco. Continue reading... from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mr722c