Skip to main content

Anne Robinson: ‘I’m the oldest woman on TV who’s not judging cakes’

The new presenter of Countdown on bucking TV’s ageism trend, her ‘Queen of Mean’ reputation, and what Fleet Street taught her

Anne Robinson, 76, was born in Crosby, north of Liverpool, to Irish parents. She started out as the first female trainee on the Daily Mail, and developed her trademark caustic style while writing the Daily Mirror’s “Wednesday Witch” column. She began appearing on TV during the 80s, becoming presenter of Points of View and Watchdog. Robinson is best known for the BBC gameshow The Weakest Link, and tomorrow takes over as the new host of Countdown, which airs at 2.10pm every weekday on Channel 4.

How does it feel to be returning to the world of quizshows?
I stopped doing The Weakest Link a decade ago when it moved up to Glasgow – my grandchildren had just been born and I didn’t want to be that far away – but I adored every single episode I did. When Countdown came along, it felt like a brilliant fit. It didn’t take me any time at all to say yes.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3qtrdNm

Comments

Popular posts from this blog