Skip to main content

Jessie Ware: ‘I miss dancing and sweat, touch and body odour’

The singer, 36, on not going raving, her inspirational mum – and being licked by David Chappelle

Like most Jewish homes, ours was loud and emotional. And that was just when we were deciding what to eat. My parents separated when I was nine and my siblings, Mum and I became a team. We were protective of her. Life was brilliantly chaotic and she made sure we always experienced new things.

It’s Mum’s fault I’m not a solicitor. A few weeks before I was due to start law school, my friend Jack Peñate asked if I’d do backing vocals on his tour. He couldn’t pay me, but it was six weeks in America. Mum was clear: live your life, defer your place, go otherwise you’ll regret it. I went, and signed my first record deal soon after.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2NCLDEU

Comments

Popular posts from this blog