Skip to main content

TV tonight: Me and My Afro – a moving exploration

Black men and women tell Emma Dabiri their often fraught hair stories. Plus: birdwatching and seal pupping in Autumnwatch. Here’s what to watch this evening

Emma Dabiri’s documentary is a fascinating and, at times, moving exploration of the cultural weight carried by black hair. For many interviewees, hair journeys are genuinely fraught affairs, involving statements of identity, acceptance or rejection of white beauty archetypes, privilege and, in some cases, hair-related physical pain. As one woman says, recalling a realisation prompted by the Black Lives Matter movement: “I never loved my hair. Does that mean I never loved myself?” Phil Harrison

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2TsvOQd

Comments

Popular posts from this blog