Skip to main content

Tom Baker: 'Being loved pleases me very much indeed'

It’s been 40 years since he left one of TV’s most iconic roles. But far from being stuck in the shadow of Who, Tom Baker continues to relish its legacy – and lend the franchise his voice

“I miss Waitrose terribly,” Tom Baker says in those unmistakable tones. “And Boots, and the places I used to go without realising how dependent I was on them.”

The year of coronavirus is treating the veteran actor well on the whole, he explains, “because I live in the country and have a garden and some woodland and a cat and a wife”. But there is a melancholy and a reminder of his own mortality when he does venture out. “When my wife and I go for a spin, I drive to Tenterden [in Kent] and – we don’t sob exactly – but it gets solemn as we catch a glimpse of the hardware store, and Boots, and Waitrose, and then we turn round and come home again. Then I go down to the paradise of my woods and think: ‘Well, eventually it will pass.’ Another voice, of course, says: ‘Yes, but by then you’ll be gone.’”

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2HNBKAU

Comments

Popular posts from this blog