Skip to main content

Sandi Toksvig: 'Sheila Hancock and I once nearly starved to death in a London restaurant'

The comedian and activist on the invisibility of women in the public sphere, homophobia and why it was time to leave Bake Off

Broadcaster, writer, comedian and activist Sandi Toksvig, 62, has worked on stage, screen and radio for 40 years. She was born in Denmark, moved to the UK aged 14 and studied at Cambridge University. She began her TV career on children’s show No.73, chaired Radio 4’s News Quiz for a decade, has helmed the BBC panel show QI since 2016 and stepped down as co-host of The Great British Bake Off earlier this year. She also co-founded the Women’s Equality party in 2015. Her memoir Between the Stops is out now in paperback.

Your memoir is based around a bus journey through London. How did you hit upon that format?
I find some memoirs a bit boring, especially the chapters about their early lives. I didn’t want to write that kind of book. To be honest, I didn’t really want to write about myself at all – I’m too self-conscious and find it all rather narcissistic – so instead I did something more eclectic.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3lvs6Ci

Comments

Popular posts from this blog