Skip to main content

Gbemisola Ikumelo: 'On the day I won the Bafta, I was in my PJs eating Domino's Pizza'

With her award-winning short set to become a BBC sitcom and an appearance in a big US sitcom on the way, the comedian is having a major year – and she’s only getting started

On the day I speak to Gbemisola Ikumelo, it’s in the midst of the biggest fortnight of her career so far. She has just won a TV Bafta for her short Brain in Gear, had a comedy series based on said short commissioned by the BBC, and has been cast in a big US series, too. It’s also one of the hottest days of the year, so as her Zoom window pops up, she’s cheerfully licking a rocket lolly.

The actor and comedian, best known for the BBC sketch show Famalam, says none of it has really sunk in. “On the day of the Bafta, I was sitting in my PJs eating Domino’s Pizza watching it, and then I saw my face come up on screen as the winner, and I mean, yeah, I screamed,” she says. “It’s weird … you spend so long hustling, then, in the course of a week, you’re handed a bunch of your dreams.”

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2D5ARS4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog