Skip to main content

'I’m a tough cookie, I have thick skin': Top Boy's Jasmine Jobson

The girl social services called ‘the most difficult child in Westminster’ is now up for a Bafta. She talks about Star Wars, her foster mother and working in the Heathrow Wetherspoons

When the casting director asked Jasmine Jobson to lose her temper, she wasn’t sure how far to take it. “I was like, ‘I can hit the roof or I could hold back a bit.’ He was like, ‘No, go nuts.” Jobson picked up a chair and “threw it clean across the room”, hitting a wall and narrowly missing a window. A week later, she was told she’d got the job, a part in Netflix’s reboot of the hit gang drama Top Boy, resurrected by Drake.

A fearsome presence, and one of few female leads in a very male series, her character Jaq turns the younger kids on the fictional London estate on to dealing drugs – and even beats her own sister, viciously. “I think I accidentally took the wardrobe door off the hinges in the kerfuffle,” Jobson says. “And it was really really hot. I was there in this big Moncler jacket, pouring with sweat.” Such was the menace of the performance – undercut with moments of vulnerability – Jobson has been nominated for best supporting actress at this week’s TV Baftas, alongside Helena Bonham-Carter.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3eVzrXi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog