Skip to main content

Sophie Ellis-Bextor's lockdown listening: 'A child could understand it – stay at home'

Ahead of her final kitchen disco livestream, the singer has been listening to Prince’s rudest hits and doing Lion King numbers with her kids

Time alone has been in short supply. In the mornings, when I get up with Mickey, my youngest, we’ve been watching Grayson Perry’s Art Club and Celebrity SAS. When I put the kids to bed, I quite often take a glass of wine and do some Lego. I got this massive Ninjago City set for Christmas, and I just finished it. That’s been really good for my head.

Doing the kitchen discos has meant an incredible amount to us. It’s been an anchor for each week, but also escapism. I’ve been singing songs I haven’t sung for years. It’s a portal – suddenly you’re 17 and in an indie club. I discovered disco in my early 20s once I started listening to dance music. As someone who sings along to stuff, I like stories, and disco is the first place that dance music told stories.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2XEqCKR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog