Skip to main content

Vanessa Redgrave: 'I've sung the High Noon theme song by heart all my life'

Continuing our series in which artists suggest movies for lockdown, the actor recalls her first cinematic experiences and recommends Cecil B DeMille, Fred Zinnemannn and Ken Loach

Nanny stopped the pram. Baby Lynn, Corin, my brother, and I were transfixed. Moving black-and-white figures could be seen in a space at the back of a van in our evacuee town in Herefordshire. Soldiers were kissing women. “The war is over,” Nanny said.

In 1946, we missed a bus stop and the first half of Laurence Olivier’s adaptation of Henry V, so the narrative explaining the battle of Agincourt became quite mysterious. In 1950, My brother and I rushed to Cecil B DeMille’s Samson and Delilah in the Haymarket. We ended up seeing this biblical epic six times.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3bL8i8F

Comments

Popular posts from this blog