Skip to main content

Stage struck: Tom Stoppard, Cush Jumbo, Brian Cox and more on the magic of theatre

To mark World Theatre Day, leading playwrights, actors and directors share some of their favourite moments

Palace theatre, Manchester. Some time in the mid-60s. A variety bill (or it may have been a panto) headed by Morecambe and Wise. Towards the end, they divided the audience into three and taught us to sing Boom Oo Yata-Ta-Ta, group by group. We were already in a state of panting ecstasy just because they were Eric and Ernie. Once we were good enough, they sang Are You Lonesome Tonight on top of us. I remember almost physically levitating. I couldn’t believe how brilliantly it all fitted together. It was the best thing ever. My only regret, and I feel it to this day, is that I was cast in the Boom group, and Yata-Ta-Ta was definitely the better part.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/39ouJ1g

Comments

Popular posts from this blog