Skip to main content

Nancy Newberry's best photograph: restaging the spaghetti western

‘I’m from Texas, about 60 miles from the Mexican border. It’s hard to not think about the border when you live here’

I have photographed these sisters, Sam and Lizzy, many times, in many costumes, over many years. This was a particularly difficult time in my life. It was late February, and my mum had been killed in a car crash the September before. After she died, I just wasn’t interested in photography. My mother had liked to sew when I was young, so instead I started cutting up old clothes or using scraps to make crude flags. I was just trying to make sense of what was happening in my world. I thought I might use them as props in the future.

I was also going for daily walks with my dog, and a few houses down the road I came across this bizarrely tied-together pegboard fence. I see things cinematically. Bits of stories emerge from whatever I’m looking at. This image came from me sitting at my mother’s sewing machine, sewing those flags, and then finding that fence. I called up Sam and Lizzy and said: “I really need to do a picture – I need you to come over.”

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/38U1uDZ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog