Skip to main content

Chris Packham: ‘I don’t look for conflict, but I won’t shy away’

The naturalist, 58, talks about death threats, autism, miniature poodles, his partner’s tigers and his failure as a conservationist

My earliest memories all relate to animals: tadpoles, ladybirds, lizards, my pet mouse. I can remember being about four, growing up in suburban Southampton, and being fascinated by the difference between me and them. I saw perfection in all of those individual organisms. Much later I realised that the greater beauty was the way that they live together in an interconnected ecosystem – the fact that it was functional, dynamic and sustainable.

My relationship with dogs – I’m not afraid to say it – borders on a dependency. They are my autism-assistant animals. Their unconditional love, dynamism and exuberance has brought me so much joy. I’ve always had black miniature poodles. I called the previous two, Itchy and Scratchy. Now I’ve got Sid and Nancy. My joy grenades. Every time I took them out, I’d pull out the pin by releasing their lead. And sometimes I could just laugh or cry with happiness watching them run. Itchy, Scratchy and I were a very powerful triangular relationship.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2F6kqCg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog