Skip to main content

Rubbish Seaside: a 'backhanded love letter' to urban Britain

The illustrated city: artist Jack Hurley explains why his satirical railway posters are really a celebration of the glorious mediocrity of Britain’s cities and towns

So, my name’s Jack Hurley, I’m 40 and I guess I’m an illustrator. I say “guess” because this all came about through expedience rather than design after I rather rashly threw in the towel on my career as a mental health worker without much of a plan as to what I was going to do next. The last five years have been a seat-of-the-pants crash course in learning on the fly, screaming at Adobe Illustrator and generally blagging my way through a scene I came to relatively late in life.

I ended up making these posters while I was doing some freelance T-shirt design work and I got a request to do one for Cleethorpes with “The Last Resort” as the punchline.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2R2ITja

Comments

Popular posts from this blog