Skip to main content

Jack Peñate: After You review – getting tastefully high

(XL Recordings)
Back after 10 years, Peñate’s tuneful new songs are a literate, spiritual exploration of the soul, but it’s undoubtedly a bit beige

Jack Peñate’s back, and this time it’s spiritual. Part of his decade away from music was spent – consults notes – indulging in mind-expanding ritual, looking to mysticism and mythology for answers, and reading Hesse, Rilke and Huxley. The suspicion that he’s gone full ayahuasca holiday is further heightened by the news that the album’s closer, Swept to the Sky, was written “because there was a sound that reminded me of a feeling I had being in the jungle while in Peru”. Shall we consult the lyrics to see what feeling that might have been? “Then a mist from the lovers of sin / Slowly crept to my skull through my skin / And my body was carried up high / And I felt myself swept to the sky.” No more questions, your honour.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/34y3xvv

Comments

Popular posts from this blog