Skip to main content

‘Our pet goat exploded’: my cramped, surprising childhood in a Chinese takeaway

Bamboo shoots, char sui and mashed potatoes … Sue Cheung remembers the highs and lows of growing up above her parents’ restaurant

Most teenagers want to leave home to experience their first taste of independence. I just wanted to move to a place where the door didn’t go “ding” every time someone walked through it.

We moved to Coventry in the early 80s, when I was just coming up to my teens and the new-romantic movement was at its peak. Back then, it was enough of a concern trying to get my hair to flick right, so when we ended up living in a Chinese takeaway I panicked about the grease wilting my fringe. Little did I know that was to be the least of my worries.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/32SGCKD

Comments

Popular posts from this blog