Skip to main content

My minor role in Morrissey’s latest outburst | Joshua Surtees

I was invited by the singer’s manager to the Hollywood Bowl concert where he donned the notorious T-shirt

Back in June, I wrote a piece for the Guardian recounting how Morrissey had once been my greatest inspiration. As one of his very few black fans, I described how, after years of giving him the benefit of the doubt, buying every record he ever made, and leaping on stage to kiss him at shows, I felt personally betrayed by his repeated demonstrations of intolerance.

Fast-forward a few months, and on Sunday I woke to friends sending me pictures of Morrissey wearing a T-shirt emblazoned with the words “Fuck the Guardian”. One message was accompanied by expletives, another by the eye-roll emoji. Another simply said, “You did this.”

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2WnHfcy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog