Skip to main content

Tegan and Sara: Hey, I’m Just Like You review – Canadian twins revisit their youth

(Sire)

With Hey, I’m Just Like You, Canadian twins Tegan and Sara Quin have cultivated a fresh start. After morphing from indie-punk outcasts into purveyors of sugar-rush pop beloved of Taylor Swift on 2013’s excellent Heartthrob, they hit a wall on its follow-up, Love You to Death. A commercial flop, it felt like a box-ticking exercise, with the band’s spirit lost under the sheen.

On their ninth album – a companion piece to their memoir, High School – they look back to move forward, with 12 songs reworked from demos they originally wrote when they were teenagers. The result is a clear-headed amalgamation of their two eras, veering from stomping emo (opener Hold My Breath Until I Die; I’ll Be Back Someday’s Avril-isms) to sleek, synth-led pop (the pogoing You Go Away and I Don’t Mind).

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2mJiqdO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s Green Day’s World Now

The band’s new album, “Saviors,” feels amazingly current, not because Green Day has capitulated to the whims of the Zeitgeist but because, somehow, the Zeitgeist has bent around Green Day. from Culture: TV, Movies, Music, Art, and Theatre News and Reviews https://ift.tt/Oz8Atxq