Skip to main content

Tadao Cern’s best photograph: older women sleeping on a beach

‘It was important the photos were candid, so I didn’t tell anyone I was shooting them. They are bodies you don’t often see in magazines or on social media’

Several years ago, when I was back home in Lithuania, I went to the beach for the first time in years. I grabbed my longboard, gathered a group of friends and family, and headed for one of the most popular spots on the Baltic coast.

On this beach, there is a bridge that overlooks the shore. As I walked across it, I could see all of the bathers lying beneath me on the sand. I had a perfect bird’s eye view. I had never seen the beach from that angle, and it was fascinating. That evening, I began the research for this series, Comfort Zone. I looked through reams of beach photography, but pretty much none of the images had captured the scene from above. I found nothing documenting it from this angle in this clean, simple, almost clinical way.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2ZwcMcj

Comments

Popular posts from this blog