Skip to main content

Chigozie Obioma: ‘I would rush to the library in my lunch break to read the Odyssey’

The Booker prize nominated novelist on the King James Bible and finding comfort in books about birds

The book I am currently reading
It’s a new novel by a very promising writer, Amir Ahmadi Arian, called Then the Fish Swallowed Him, to be published next year. I’m also reading, slowly, Namwali Serpell’s The Old Drift.

The book that changed my life
Changing one’s life is asking for too much of art, and something we writers often make ourselves believe because it adds the feeling of concrete utility to our trade. I’d say books don’t have to change people’s lives as much as touch something in them. Amos Tutuola’s The Palm-Wine Drinkard was probably that book.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/34bkRGO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog