Skip to main content

Sarah Waters: ‘Angela Carter's The Bloody Chamber was like nothing I’d read before’

The author on discovering Carter’s fairytales as a teenager, enjoying Proust, and her introduction to kinky historical fiction

The book I am currently reading
I’ve just reread, with enormous pleasure, Alan Sillitoe’s Saturday Night and Sunday Morning; a great companion to it has been Richard Vinen’s study of postwar British conscription, National Service. And I’m about to start Guy Gunaratne’s In Our Mad and Furious City.

The book that changed my life
Angela Carter’s collection of rewritten fairytales, The Bloody Chamber. I read it when I was 17, and its mix of feminism, sex and literary fireworks – the sheer lusciousness of it – was like nothing I’d ever encountered before.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2DUH2Xo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog