Skip to main content

Gideon Mendel's best photograph: a mother carries her HIV-infected son

‘Joseph had been sick for 10 years. He said he liked listening to the radio, friends would pass by, his life was rich. He died a few months later’

I shot this image of Dorika Gabriel carrying her son, Joseph, in 1997. I had travelled to their village on the Ugandan border of Tanzania, close to Lake Victoria, to photograph local responses to HIV and Aids.

At the end of the day I was taken to meet people who were living with the disease. Joseph was sitting under a shelter outside his home. As I was walking away, I turned back and I saw his mother lift him up and carry him back into the house.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2FZC9ir

Comments

Popular posts from this blog