Skip to main content

As much about eating as cooking: Anna Jones on Laurie Colwin | The Cook’s Cook

Laurie Colwin liberated home cooks with stories and recipes full of wit, warmth, humour and a love of good food

I came to American food writer Laurie Colwin’s book Home Cooking quite late on. She wrote it in 1987, but her I only heard about as recently as five years ago. A group of friends were getting together to cook a dinner, each making a dish from one of her cookbooks. I felt a bit embarrassed: these weren’t for the most part “food friends”, and I thought, “Hold on a second, I’m a cookbook writer and I’ve never heard of her”.

The friend who had arranged the dinner was American, and I think her mother had had Laurie’s books kicking about at home, and in the end she ended up cooking most of the dinner and asked us just to bring salads. So having ordered the books and hurriedly read the introduction to Home Cooking, I decided to go with something very, very simple – a little gem salad with soft herbs and vinaigrette. That’s what Laurie is all about. She celebrates the simple, which, at the time when she was writing – the late 1980s – must have really set her apart from all the other cookery books.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2KIQ3E1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Degrees of separation: what connects Seinfeld to Steve Bannon?

From the US sitcom to the far-right rabble rouser, we go down the rabbit hole, thanks to the arrival of Jerry’s show on Netflix Seinfeld All 180 episodes of the 90s’ most misanthropic sitcom have arrived on Netflix, but not everyone is happy. Some viewers have complained that the new transfer puts Jerry Seinfeld ’s show in a different aspect ratio: from an older square format to widescreen … yada-yada … now the picture crops out some sight gags and just seems slightly bizarro . Motion impossible: fallout It’s not the first time modern technology has caused problems. HD TVs can make even visually stunning films look like cheap soap operas, through motion smoothing – a process to reduce blurring (good for on-screen sport). But Tom Cruise was there to save the day: in a slightly awkward 2018 video , he explained how to adjust TV settings to undo this flat fiasco. Continue reading... from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mr722c