Skip to main content

Why it takes Beyoncé to get a black photographer on the cover of US Vogue

If rumours are true, Tyler Mitchell, 23, will be the first black photographer to shoot the magazine’s cover image in its 126-year history. Fellow creative David Uzochukwu explains how people of colour are effecting change

When I woke up to the news that Tyler [Mitchell] had apparently got the shoot I was as excited as if I had shot Beyoncé myself. And if we look at the situation, yes, if it’s true, it’s a moment to be celebrated – but it’s also sad. It is not US Vogue that chose him. It is Beyoncé. A powerhouse of the music industry. She’s the one who pulled him in, one of the most famous women in the world. And that’s telling.

The internet has been incredibly helpful for me and creative people of my generation; it has helped break down barriers. You can get your work out there much more easily, which is key for people of colour. I got to shoot FKA twigs because I was found online by other black creatives – the stylist Matthew Josephs and Twigs herself– and then pulled into the team.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2mVejYG

Comments

Popular posts from this blog