Skip to main content

Sign here, please: a memoir of autograph hunting and obsession

As a schoolboy, Adam Andrusier was passionate about collecting the autographs of the rich and famous, then later it became his full-time career. But what was he hoping to find on all those scraps of paper?

It was 1989. I had my schoolbag over my shoulder, a blank piece of card in one hand, a ballpoint in the other. An autograph pen pal of mine had informed me that Paul McCartney would be performing an unplugged session at a recording studio in Wembley, so I hotfooted it there after school. McCartney was autograph royalty, a god. Ultra-tricky through the mail, he signed very little and his squiggle on a piece of paper was worth £100 even back then. The guy could literally write his own money.

If this worked out, I mused, if I actually met a Beatle after school, I’d surely have arrived. It would be like that scene in The Ten Commandments when Charlton Heston comes upon the burning bush on Mount Horeb. “I am here,” I’d announce humbly, just like Charlton. He and I had both been born into bondage-type situations, after all – his, the ancient Egyptian kind, mine more modern Jewish suburban. I’d be scared at first; I’d hide my face from the orange Beatle haze, but then I’d fall to my knees on the Wembley industrial estate and cower in the presence of true greatness.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3xVIIIB

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Degrees of separation: what connects Seinfeld to Steve Bannon?

From the US sitcom to the far-right rabble rouser, we go down the rabbit hole, thanks to the arrival of Jerry’s show on Netflix Seinfeld All 180 episodes of the 90s’ most misanthropic sitcom have arrived on Netflix, but not everyone is happy. Some viewers have complained that the new transfer puts Jerry Seinfeld ’s show in a different aspect ratio: from an older square format to widescreen … yada-yada … now the picture crops out some sight gags and just seems slightly bizarro . Motion impossible: fallout It’s not the first time modern technology has caused problems. HD TVs can make even visually stunning films look like cheap soap operas, through motion smoothing – a process to reduce blurring (good for on-screen sport). But Tom Cruise was there to save the day: in a slightly awkward 2018 video , he explained how to adjust TV settings to undo this flat fiasco. Continue reading... from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mr722c