Skip to main content

'I wrote it as a fugitive from what my life had become': Tsitsi Dangarembga on Nervous Conditions

The Booker-nominated writer on how growing up between England and Zimbabwe inspired her first novel - and why she started over after reading Germaine Greer’s The Female Eunuch

Nervous Conditions is a novel about yearning and wanting, about black girls – in this case Zimbabwean girls – desiring better for themselves and their loved ones. I wrote it as a fugitive. A fugitive from my first memories and of what my life had become.

Related: Tsitsi Dangarembga: 'I am afraid. There have been abductions'

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3ryX3ra

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s Green Day’s World Now

The band’s new album, “Saviors,” feels amazingly current, not because Green Day has capitulated to the whims of the Zeitgeist but because, somehow, the Zeitgeist has bent around Green Day. from Culture: TV, Movies, Music, Art, and Theatre News and Reviews https://ift.tt/Oz8Atxq