Skip to main content

Turning over a new leaf? The best books for a new year

From Agatha Christie’s Mary Westmacott novels to life lessons from a Stoic philosopher, Sophie Hannah recommends books to see in 2021

I have a suspicion about 2021. Even though it has only just started, I’m guessing it will turn out to be a year that contains joy, pain, excitement, fear and every other possible human feeling. If I’m right, then 2021 – despite being a new beginning – will be much like 2020, which also contained the full range of wonderful-to-terrible emotions.

I’ve heard many say “Good riddance to 2020” and I understand why, but it also makes me want to correct the misunderstanding. A year is a moral-value-free and agenda-free unit of time. It has neither agency nor culpability. It’s merely a container inside which we have experiences.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3hxqA0T

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s Green Day’s World Now

The band’s new album, “Saviors,” feels amazingly current, not because Green Day has capitulated to the whims of the Zeitgeist but because, somehow, the Zeitgeist has bent around Green Day. from Culture: TV, Movies, Music, Art, and Theatre News and Reviews https://ift.tt/Oz8Atxq