Skip to main content

Virginie Despentes: 'Charles Bukowski is my comfort read. He makes me feel good'

The novelist and film-maker on her love for vampires, laughing at David Sedaris and crying over Joan Didion

The book I am currently reading
Jean Rhys’s Good Morning, Midnight. I am reading everything she wrote.

The book that changed my life
The Autobiography of Malcolm X. I read it when I was 20 – around the time of Spike Lee’s Do the Right Thing. I realised once I’d read it that a life can be made up of different chapters – and that I was not obliged to follow a particular path based on the first chapter of my life.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3feiW8P

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Degrees of separation: what connects Seinfeld to Steve Bannon?

From the US sitcom to the far-right rabble rouser, we go down the rabbit hole, thanks to the arrival of Jerry’s show on Netflix Seinfeld All 180 episodes of the 90s’ most misanthropic sitcom have arrived on Netflix, but not everyone is happy. Some viewers have complained that the new transfer puts Jerry Seinfeld ’s show in a different aspect ratio: from an older square format to widescreen … yada-yada … now the picture crops out some sight gags and just seems slightly bizarro . Motion impossible: fallout It’s not the first time modern technology has caused problems. HD TVs can make even visually stunning films look like cheap soap operas, through motion smoothing – a process to reduce blurring (good for on-screen sport). But Tom Cruise was there to save the day: in a slightly awkward 2018 video , he explained how to adjust TV settings to undo this flat fiasco. Continue reading... from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mr722c