Skip to main content

Becoming a writer exposed my dirty secret: I’d stopped reading. Now I’m back at it | Rhik Samadder

Once upon a time, I devoured books. Then all I read was Facebook and texts. Now, thanks to Covid-19, I’ve fallen in love all over again

The man behind the camera gave me an odd look. “The spider from Charlotte’s Web?” I had travelled to the television set in Scotland by train, which had broken down at Preston, and been forced to improvise the rest of the journey on smaller trains and taxis, while ill, arriving on set with 15 minutes to spare before my interview started. Someone had put a plate of food in front of me, and someone else had taken me away from it, to record a “quick bit of extra content for socials”. That’s why my brain wasn’t working when I was asked who my favourite fictional character was. The spider from Charlotte’s Web. A book I hadn’t read in 25 years.

“What’s her name?” I added, a coup de grâce that established me as not just odd, but actively stupid.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2VpMhWL

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Degrees of separation: what connects Seinfeld to Steve Bannon?

From the US sitcom to the far-right rabble rouser, we go down the rabbit hole, thanks to the arrival of Jerry’s show on Netflix Seinfeld All 180 episodes of the 90s’ most misanthropic sitcom have arrived on Netflix, but not everyone is happy. Some viewers have complained that the new transfer puts Jerry Seinfeld ’s show in a different aspect ratio: from an older square format to widescreen … yada-yada … now the picture crops out some sight gags and just seems slightly bizarro . Motion impossible: fallout It’s not the first time modern technology has caused problems. HD TVs can make even visually stunning films look like cheap soap operas, through motion smoothing – a process to reduce blurring (good for on-screen sport). But Tom Cruise was there to save the day: in a slightly awkward 2018 video , he explained how to adjust TV settings to undo this flat fiasco. Continue reading... from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mr722c