Skip to main content

Peter Bogdanovich: 'I missed my chance to tell Buster Keaton he was a genius – now I'm telling the world'

The Hollywood director has made a documentary about the silent-era legend, who he rates even above Charlie Chaplin. He explains why it was a project that came from the heart

I must have been six or seven when I first saw Buster Keaton. We were living in New York, and my father took me to the Museum of Modern Art in New York, where I saw some Keaton and some Chaplin pictures. I was just a kid, but I loved him right away, and that was the start of the great affection I have for silent comedy.

Somebody once said to Chaplin: “Your camerawork is not very interesting,” and he replied: “It doesn’t have to be. I’m interesting.” But Keaton was great with the camera, and great with the acting as well. While directing the documentary The Great Buster: A Celebration, I came to care for him even more because he is so precise and the timing of the jokes is just flawless.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2I3fY95

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s Green Day’s World Now

The band’s new album, “Saviors,” feels amazingly current, not because Green Day has capitulated to the whims of the Zeitgeist but because, somehow, the Zeitgeist has bent around Green Day. from Culture: TV, Movies, Music, Art, and Theatre News and Reviews https://ift.tt/Oz8Atxq