Skip to main content

'To be silly is quite an art': the weekend I became a mime

The first rule of mime club? You do not talk. Well, not when you’re hard at work. Our writer takes lessons from Marcel Marceau’s former student, Nola Rae

Early on in mime school, I hit a brick wall. It’s about 6ft high and the width of my outstretched arms, but you can still see my shiny, plum-faced embarrassment through it. “First you hate the wall,” internationally renowned mime artist Nola Rae prompts, as we scratch and smack at the stale air, “and now you love the wall.” We drool and shimmy against the imaginary bricks and I wonder if I’m secretly being filmed for a prank show. I wave my arms awkwardly in a caress, wondering how much shame I’m willing to wade through. “It is the most beautiful wall you have never seen.”

Rae is a co-founder of London international mime festival. Originally a dancer, she trained with Marcel Marceau in Paris. I’ve joined the 70-year-old Australian performer’s coveted two-day workshop at the festival to attempt to learn her art.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3aWoofs

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Degrees of separation: what connects Seinfeld to Steve Bannon?

From the US sitcom to the far-right rabble rouser, we go down the rabbit hole, thanks to the arrival of Jerry’s show on Netflix Seinfeld All 180 episodes of the 90s’ most misanthropic sitcom have arrived on Netflix, but not everyone is happy. Some viewers have complained that the new transfer puts Jerry Seinfeld ’s show in a different aspect ratio: from an older square format to widescreen … yada-yada … now the picture crops out some sight gags and just seems slightly bizarro . Motion impossible: fallout It’s not the first time modern technology has caused problems. HD TVs can make even visually stunning films look like cheap soap operas, through motion smoothing – a process to reduce blurring (good for on-screen sport). But Tom Cruise was there to save the day: in a slightly awkward 2018 video , he explained how to adjust TV settings to undo this flat fiasco. Continue reading... from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mr722c