Skip to main content

Nora Roberts: ‘I could fill all the bookstores in all the land’

Her 220 novels – from crime to romance to suspense – have sold 500m copies around the world. Her secret? Early morning Coca-Colas and an eight-hour day

Nora Roberts was a young stay-at-home mum with two small boys when 3ft of snow hit Maryland in February 1979, and the family was stuck inside. She picked up a notebook and had a go at writing a romance novel. “I thought, I’m going nuts here, so I’ll take one of the stories out of my head and write it down,” she says. “And I just fell in love. Before that I’d sewed, baked bread, crocheted, macramed two hammocks. I was desperately searching for a creative outlet and as soon as I started that was it.”

Today, Roberts is the author of more than 220 novels, publishing at least five a year. Known by her legions of fans as La Nora, she’s a perennial New York Times bestseller who has sold more than 500m books worldwide. Forbes estimates her net worth at $390m. We’re talking in the stunning setting of Ashford Castle in Ireland, the inspiration for her bestselling Cousins O’Dwyer series – witchcraft; romance; horses – where almost 200 readers are due for an event later that day. One booked a flight to Ireland the second the event was announced. She has, she says later, read every book Roberts has ever written, from supernatural-tinged series such as the Guardians trilogy to the romantic suspense of The Obsession; this is some feat.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/38SgL8g

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Degrees of separation: what connects Seinfeld to Steve Bannon?

From the US sitcom to the far-right rabble rouser, we go down the rabbit hole, thanks to the arrival of Jerry’s show on Netflix Seinfeld All 180 episodes of the 90s’ most misanthropic sitcom have arrived on Netflix, but not everyone is happy. Some viewers have complained that the new transfer puts Jerry Seinfeld ’s show in a different aspect ratio: from an older square format to widescreen … yada-yada … now the picture crops out some sight gags and just seems slightly bizarro . Motion impossible: fallout It’s not the first time modern technology has caused problems. HD TVs can make even visually stunning films look like cheap soap operas, through motion smoothing – a process to reduce blurring (good for on-screen sport). But Tom Cruise was there to save the day: in a slightly awkward 2018 video , he explained how to adjust TV settings to undo this flat fiasco. Continue reading... from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mr722c