Skip to main content

Nancy Newberry's best photograph: restaging the spaghetti western

‘I’m from Texas, about 60 miles from the Mexican border. It’s hard to not think about the border when you live here’

I have photographed these sisters, Sam and Lizzy, many times, in many costumes, over many years. This was a particularly difficult time in my life. It was late February, and my mum had been killed in a car crash the September before. After she died, I just wasn’t interested in photography. My mother had liked to sew when I was young, so instead I started cutting up old clothes or using scraps to make crude flags. I was just trying to make sense of what was happening in my world. I thought I might use them as props in the future.

I was also going for daily walks with my dog, and a few houses down the road I came across this bizarrely tied-together pegboard fence. I see things cinematically. Bits of stories emerge from whatever I’m looking at. This image came from me sitting at my mother’s sewing machine, sewing those flags, and then finding that fence. I called up Sam and Lizzy and said: “I really need to do a picture – I need you to come over.”

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/38U1uDZ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Degrees of separation: what connects Seinfeld to Steve Bannon?

From the US sitcom to the far-right rabble rouser, we go down the rabbit hole, thanks to the arrival of Jerry’s show on Netflix Seinfeld All 180 episodes of the 90s’ most misanthropic sitcom have arrived on Netflix, but not everyone is happy. Some viewers have complained that the new transfer puts Jerry Seinfeld ’s show in a different aspect ratio: from an older square format to widescreen … yada-yada … now the picture crops out some sight gags and just seems slightly bizarro . Motion impossible: fallout It’s not the first time modern technology has caused problems. HD TVs can make even visually stunning films look like cheap soap operas, through motion smoothing – a process to reduce blurring (good for on-screen sport). But Tom Cruise was there to save the day: in a slightly awkward 2018 video , he explained how to adjust TV settings to undo this flat fiasco. Continue reading... from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mr722c