Skip to main content

Chris Packham: ‘I don’t look for conflict, but I won’t shy away’

The naturalist, 58, talks about death threats, autism, miniature poodles, his partner’s tigers and his failure as a conservationist

My earliest memories all relate to animals: tadpoles, ladybirds, lizards, my pet mouse. I can remember being about four, growing up in suburban Southampton, and being fascinated by the difference between me and them. I saw perfection in all of those individual organisms. Much later I realised that the greater beauty was the way that they live together in an interconnected ecosystem – the fact that it was functional, dynamic and sustainable.

My relationship with dogs – I’m not afraid to say it – borders on a dependency. They are my autism-assistant animals. Their unconditional love, dynamism and exuberance has brought me so much joy. I’ve always had black miniature poodles. I called the previous two, Itchy and Scratchy. Now I’ve got Sid and Nancy. My joy grenades. Every time I took them out, I’d pull out the pin by releasing their lead. And sometimes I could just laugh or cry with happiness watching them run. Itchy, Scratchy and I were a very powerful triangular relationship.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2F6kqCg

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Degrees of separation: what connects Seinfeld to Steve Bannon?

From the US sitcom to the far-right rabble rouser, we go down the rabbit hole, thanks to the arrival of Jerry’s show on Netflix Seinfeld All 180 episodes of the 90s’ most misanthropic sitcom have arrived on Netflix, but not everyone is happy. Some viewers have complained that the new transfer puts Jerry Seinfeld ’s show in a different aspect ratio: from an older square format to widescreen … yada-yada … now the picture crops out some sight gags and just seems slightly bizarro . Motion impossible: fallout It’s not the first time modern technology has caused problems. HD TVs can make even visually stunning films look like cheap soap operas, through motion smoothing – a process to reduce blurring (good for on-screen sport). But Tom Cruise was there to save the day: in a slightly awkward 2018 video , he explained how to adjust TV settings to undo this flat fiasco. Continue reading... from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mr722c