Skip to main content

Rubbish Seaside: a 'backhanded love letter' to urban Britain

The illustrated city: artist Jack Hurley explains why his satirical railway posters are really a celebration of the glorious mediocrity of Britain’s cities and towns

So, my name’s Jack Hurley, I’m 40 and I guess I’m an illustrator. I say “guess” because this all came about through expedience rather than design after I rather rashly threw in the towel on my career as a mental health worker without much of a plan as to what I was going to do next. The last five years have been a seat-of-the-pants crash course in learning on the fly, screaming at Adobe Illustrator and generally blagging my way through a scene I came to relatively late in life.

I ended up making these posters while I was doing some freelance T-shirt design work and I got a request to do one for Cleethorpes with “The Last Resort” as the punchline.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2R2ITja

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s Green Day’s World Now

The band’s new album, “Saviors,” feels amazingly current, not because Green Day has capitulated to the whims of the Zeitgeist but because, somehow, the Zeitgeist has bent around Green Day. from Culture: TV, Movies, Music, Art, and Theatre News and Reviews https://ift.tt/Oz8Atxq