Skip to main content

Caroline Criado Perez: ‘No one ever changed the world by being nice’

The journalist and campaigner on the book that made her realise she was in an abusive relationship and the comforts of Nancy Mitford

The book I am currently reading
Deborah Levy’s The Cost of Living. After years of reading almost exclusively men, I’m now addicted to sharp female writers like Levy who write about what it is to be a woman. I don’t think I’ll ever tire of the excitement of recognising how I see the world in a book.

The book that changed my life
Where There’s a Will There’s a Way or, All I Really Need to Know I Learned from Shakespeare by Laurie Maguire. Part literary analysis, part self-help book, reading this made me realise I was in an abusive relationship – which was the first step to getting out.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2mgAX0G

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Degrees of separation: what connects Seinfeld to Steve Bannon?

From the US sitcom to the far-right rabble rouser, we go down the rabbit hole, thanks to the arrival of Jerry’s show on Netflix Seinfeld All 180 episodes of the 90s’ most misanthropic sitcom have arrived on Netflix, but not everyone is happy. Some viewers have complained that the new transfer puts Jerry Seinfeld ’s show in a different aspect ratio: from an older square format to widescreen … yada-yada … now the picture crops out some sight gags and just seems slightly bizarro . Motion impossible: fallout It’s not the first time modern technology has caused problems. HD TVs can make even visually stunning films look like cheap soap operas, through motion smoothing – a process to reduce blurring (good for on-screen sport). But Tom Cruise was there to save the day: in a slightly awkward 2018 video , he explained how to adjust TV settings to undo this flat fiasco. Continue reading... from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/3mr722c