Skip to main content

Mimi Cherono Ng’ok’s best photograph: a new perspective on male bodies

‘The image captures our relationship – the affection, the intimacy, the vulnerability. But why do so many people ask if he’s my boyfriend?’

The boy is a close friend, an artist I met in Ghana about a year before I made this photo. The image perfectly captures our relationship at the time: the affection, the intimacy and the vulnerability. People who see this often ask: “Is that your boyfriend?” It’s a double standard. I’m not sure male photographers get asked that kind of question.

I’d been working a lot with my family, particularly my sisters, and was timid about making images of men’s bodies. I don’t think I was ready to navigate friendship and desire in the way this image does.

Continue reading...

from Culture | The Guardian https://ift.tt/2JjDVuU

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s Green Day’s World Now

The band’s new album, “Saviors,” feels amazingly current, not because Green Day has capitulated to the whims of the Zeitgeist but because, somehow, the Zeitgeist has bent around Green Day. from Culture: TV, Movies, Music, Art, and Theatre News and Reviews https://ift.tt/Oz8Atxq